LEEK, RED ONION AND HALLOUMI OMELETTE - Ellie's Soul Food (Guest Post)
Ellie’s Soul Food is giving us a super yummy idea for breakfast this week! I love omelets but sometimes for whatever reason it can be hard to think of what might taste good.
I’m a topping person...I want EVERY topping on my fro yo and EVERY topping on my pizza so I like when I can have a go to recipe that tells me what works! Or else I would put my whole fridge in this thing. Wanna go even healthier? Try egg whites!
I woke up ravenous one morning and was totally over my usual breakfast so I looked to see what I had left in my fridge..and this dish really did go from rags to riches. I only had 20 mins before I had to get out the house so this really can be boshed out!!!
Eggs are a favourite of mine - packed full of protein they keep you full for long periods of time and what ever you put with them they take on their flavour. So sweet onions and cherry tomatoes with salty halloumi and lovely leeks to top it of was sure to be a good thing.
- 1/2 leek
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 150g hallomui
- 6 eggs
- splash of rice milk
- Sea salt and black pepper
- pinch of chilli flakes - optional
- Preheat grill and oven to 180°C / 356°F
- Wash all vegetables
- Cut leeks and red onion into small pieces
- Heat 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil on medium heat in a non stick pan - chuck leeks and red onion in - cook for 8 mins
- Meanwhile cut 6 cherry tomatoes in halves and halloumi into cubes - add to leeks and onion
- Crack 6 eggs into a bowl add a splash of milk and season well with salt and pepper (+chilli optional) - whisk
- Pour egg mixture evenly over vegetables in pan - cook for a further 5 mins on medium heat
- Then place pan in oven under grill for 6 mins so mixture is cooked through
- Bish - Bosh - Bash -- YOUR DONE!! Eat up!!
FoodLoveFact: Full fat halloumi has 6g of protein per oz compared with the reduced fat halloumi of 8.1g. Get REDUCED FAT all the way!!!