HEALTHY STRAWBERRY JAM - Krissy B.
This healthy strawberry jam is simple to make, healthy to eat and low in sugar.
It’s slightly tart but sweet enough for those who have quit sugar. In fact, if you have fresh and in-season strawberries you will find that even the sweetener isn’t needed.
Chia seeds are a source of omega-3 fatty acids which are vital for the body to function and must be provided by diet because the body can not make these naturally. Making chia seeds important for development and optimal brain functioning.
I would recommend eating this jam within a few days, which is why the quantities listed make enough for only 2/3 cup.
1 cup strawberries, stems removed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp stevia (or alternative natural sweetener - optional
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Place the strawberries in a colander and wash well;
- Bring the water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add the whole strawberries and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the strawberries fall apart when touched;
- Allow the strawberries to cool a little and then drain using a sieve. Set the strawberry juice aside (more delicious recipes for that to come);
- Place the strawberry pulp in a blender and blend until smooth;
- Add the chia seeds and stevia and stir well. Scoop into a clean glass jar and store in the fridge.
- NOTE: this is not a preserved jam and does not contain high amounts of sugar, therefore it should be eaten within a week.